Sunday 5 May 2019

An unfair disadvantage?


Well I learnt something new yesterday.

It started with an innocent comment as mum and dad were watching the women’s FA Cup final at Wembley on TV. ( I was sat in the conservatory trying to read.)

“Is the Wembley pitch bigger than other football pitches?”

Dad said no, and I shouted from the other room, “Don’t be silly, of course they are all the same size.”

I texted oldest son, as a sports journalist he would find this banter amusing.

“Do you think It’s because the women are naturally smaller than male players and it is an optical illusion???” I queried.

“The pitch at Wembley is bigger.” He replied

“Liar!, I’m not that gullible.”

“Looks like the joke is on you. Haha.”

Well I am well known for being gullible but as a I have a degree in Library and Information Studies I do like to check my facts so I turned to Google.

I discovered that the Wembley pitch is bigger than some pitches, all Premier teams should conform to the Wembley standard if the size of stadium allows. However 5 of the premier teams have smaller pitches – Aug 2017.

Well I was stunned!

How fair is THAT????

After all an 800 metre running track must be the same length the world over? A tennis court surely has the same dimensions in Paris, Melbourne, New York and Wimbledon, even if the surfaces differ?

Talk about moving the goalposts with football! On one pitch you can judge your corner to perfection with the slice of a boot on the ball and on another pitch your aim is too hard of too soft!

I’m shocked that our national game is not totally fair, unbiased and beyond scrutiny!

But then life itself isn’t fair.

I’ve just had another spell in hospital. My gall bladder rebelled, I don’t think it liked being blasted with chemo every fortnight, I became ill and it needed removing urgently.

So the chemo is on hold, which is great as my body returns to normality, albeit without a gall bladder, but once it starts again it will probably eat into the summer months… no certainties yet until I see the oncologist on Thursday.

There are wins and losses.

But I was reminded during my hospital stay of just how unfair life can be. As I sat there basically cancer free, others in Ebay ( no bids on any of us we are all broken!!) still live with cancer in their bodies every day, festering, growing, or perhaps the chemo is shrinking it? Working its toxic magic.

But what of those whose chemo has been stopped for good, their bodies just can’t take it anymore? At least some of the women were in this position and one younger than me – how unfair!

How unfair that we should be sat inside hospital on a sunny Easter, treats of hot cross buns and Belgium chocolates were very welcome but its not the same as being at home with your family. Able to go out for the day or just potter in a much loved garden.

As one woman remarked, “other people out there have no idea.”

Then after my op I ended up back on the ward I’d been in before Christmas, some familiar faces among the nursing staff were a joy to see.

The operation went well, keyhole surgery, no big scar this time and I am recovering very well.

But others were still waiting for treatment, waiting to be seen, waiting for a diagnosis of why they feel so ill. And sat there through a weekend with fewer medical staff on call seems unfair, when you can’t eat because of the pain.

At least I was recovering. I.ve leaped another hurdle.

And now I’m home, well back with my parents recuperating and discussing the size of football pitches.

Life as unpredictable and unfair as it ever was, both on and off the pitch!


2 comments:

  1. What a clever, thoughtful and well written blog Sarah - stuffed full of whatever it is that makes us compassionate humans - made me smile, think, and be thankful all at once. The power of words eh xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, you are,so clear sighted. Always great to read your thoughts and see your perspective. Forza!!!

    ReplyDelete