Saturday 6 January 2024

The trials and tribulations of planning a book launch

You know that recurring nightmare we all have of turning up at a posh do wearing nothing but our underwear? Not the glamourous matching set but the faded washed-out pants of indeterminate colour and the bra with a BHS label - how long is it since they stopped trading?

Well, I have a new nightmare to keep me awake in the wee small hours, an author version.

Imagine a book launch with NO BOOKS!

I don’t have to imagine that hard to be honest. Yesterday my KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing for those not in the know) said my books were finally ‘live’ and I was able to order my author copies.

Great I thought, I have exactly one week, Amazon are very good at delivering things in good time. Have you seen how many Prime vans there are about these days, there are hardly an endangered species. I drove past one yesterday, parked completely on the kerb by the post office, an accident waiting to happen.

But I digress, as most storytellers do until the final edit.

I ordered my 200 copies – well I have at least 50 people coming to my launch party next Friday and at least three speaking engagements planned in the near future. 

I paid for ‘expedited delivery’ but my books will not arrive until Monday 15th, the book launch is Friday 12th.

It’s not even an ‘expected delivery date’ – they seem quite certain that they will dispatch my books on the 14th.

from my positivity calendar - a Christmas gift from oldest son

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry? I take comfort in the fact my proof copy arrived two days earlier than I expected it, which really threw me off balance to be honest.

There is a little bit of me that knows I procrastinated too long, even wondered what would happen if…?

I admit have a self-destruct button I’m fond of pressing, or at least my finger hovers over it as I ponder.

Once I was at a concert watching beer bottles been thrown into the crowd as the support act played, and the thought crossed my mind, ‘what if one of them hits somebody?’ You can guess what happens next – there’s a story about it in my book, which you can read, once you manage to get hold of a copy.

And so, I face the complete tragedy of a book launch with NO BOOKS!

Is it really a tragedy or just a minor inconvenience?

I do not live in a country being bombed, daily fearing for my life. Closer to home I do not live on a flood plain, I won’t have to suffer the devastation of muddy water pouring through my house. I have much to be thankful for.

No body died!

Well, that last statement is not quite true, my book is a memoir about losing my husband, at least that was my starting point. I didn’t understand what grief was as I negotiated those early days of confusion. Writing a blog kept me sane and helped me process my thoughts and feelings.

I tried hard to end each blog post positively, 

I can find the perfect words for EVERY occasion!

I think I failed only twice when my mood just could not be improved by furiously tapping on the keyboard, those times I left the laptop and went and had a good cry instead.

Disappointment has in many ways become second nature to me, I’ve come to expect the unexpected although I try hard not to be pessimistic with it. Sometimes it’s like walking a tightrope.

It’s a bit of a cliché but I’ve come so far on this journey. Just in the past year I have successfully wrangled my words into a cohesive book that is being published by Resolute Books, a collaboration of authors who I am indebted to for including me in their esteemed ranks.

The venue for the launch had been booked for months, I have so many people coming and I will pull out all the stops to make it a most marvellous party, with or without a pile of books.

My first port of call last night when I resigned myself to ‘whatever will be’ was youngest son. He cheered me up showing me a picture of new Lego set he might buy me for my birthday and then decided it was ironic that launching a book about how life often goes wrong was still throwing up the unexpected curve ball.

a Lego pheasant! Yes I know it's really a peacock, when you read the book you will understand the joke

This is real life; it doesn’t always happen as we plan. Sometimes we need to collapse on the sofa and have a good cry to get it out of our system, or walk along a deserted beach shouting into the wind, or curl up in the arms of a loved one who can sooth away the pain. All are very effective tried and tested methods.

Ultimately, search for the tiny bits of sparkle and glitter and make the best of any situation. Some people call me inspirational for doing so, but we can’t live in the dark forever. Find someone to guide you, to hold your hand and listen. Reach out and believe there will be a rainbow around the next corner.

 

I hope and pray that 2024 is a really good year for you whatever is thrown your way and my best piece of advice is - if you decide to write a book, order your author copies in plenty of time!



No comments:

Post a Comment