Thursday 12 January 2023

There's a man on my roof...

There is a man on the roof and it sounds as if he’s clanging a dustbin lid above the chimney, the noise is reverberating all the way down to the lounge.

That’s what it sounds like because that is pretty much what is happening. The metal lid will close my chimney and forever stop the birds from flying down. I will never again have to hear the flap of wings beating on the back of the electric fire, which I so rarely use – who wants a living room to smell of toasted dust?

view from my capped chimney pot

No longer will I be compelled, with some fear and trepidation to pull the fire away from the gaping hole to release said bird. The small ones have great navigational skills and are on autopilot for the freedom of the open doors.

However, my last visitor was a dozy pigeon, give him his due he’s been in there a couple of days by the time I steeled myself up to let him out so perhaps he’s not totally to blame for his disorientation. I had a sixth sense that he would cause me trouble and lo and behold he flapped around bouncing off the ceiling a few times before landing on the carpet. I threw a blanket over him gathered him up, which made me feel very brave, and dumped him outside.

For a fleeting moment I thought he might attempt to get back in, so I shooed him off and shut the door quick!

No lasting damage – thank goodness its not a real open fire covered with soot, we had a sooty bird print on the ceiling in our old house from a similar event, most people never noticed or commented, but I always knew.

I just need to clear up all the bird poo and detritus hidden behind the electric fire. I’m guessing it will make good compost on my raised beds – a job for a brighter day.

The chimney sweep, who fitted the cap is my third gentleman caller this week.

On Monday it was the boiler man and Tuesday a decorator giving me a quote for decorating some bedrooms.

I’m not being sexist; it doesn’t have to be a handyMAN who does these jobs. I’m all for girl power and the sisterhood. I admire anyone who has these practical skills I don’t possess.

I can do basic knitting and sewing. I can bleed radiators and use a plunger. I know I am not completely incompetent but sometime it’s nice to find the right people to help out, especially when you are on your own. 

Especially when you are feeling fragile… but more on that another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment