Monday 31 October 2022

Under the Lamppost

I don't "do" Halloween, I don't like to revel in darkness and the macabre but I made an exception on Saturday afternoon to attend an event organised by my friend Virginia Betts featuring the Dead Poets Theatre Company.

Virginia and her gang of spookily dressed live poets performed some of her poems and stories from her two books "Tourist to the Sun" (poems) and "The Camera Obscure" (short stories). 

Here's a link to her website to find out more virginiabetts.com

Virginia told us about her own writing journey, it's fascinating to hear how other people have been published - it always involves hard work and tenacity! 

She also mentioned how her dreams have inspired her writing and I think that got me thinking when there was a chance to get involved and write our own spooky tale using a couple of picture prompts.

This wasn't the actual picture but one I found on Google that works with my edited version. And I do recall having a similar dream a long long time ago...

picture credit: Daniel Petreikis - found on unsplash.com

Under the Lamppost

Lamplights dazzle brightly, full of hope, setting before me a path to guide my future. Staring hypnotically at them brings spots to my eyes so I blink and squeeze my lids tight to clear my vision. Once fully open I see you there, through the ether, under the lamppost, loitering.

I shiver, sensing you watching me.

You are the mysterious figure from my nightmare years ago.

Now I am older, more self-assured, I feel I should investigate, confront my demons.

But now I am older I am more cautious, aware of dangers that lurk in shadows.

Both of us stand, frozen, watching.

Until one by one the lights go out!


No comments:

Post a Comment