Sunday 21 March 2021

Census Done

Today is both World Poetry Day and Census Day.

I hate ticking boxes, I'd rather write an essay telling you who I am*, and why I've not had paid employment for a long time, but there is no option for that! 

(*I am a princess, a brain and a basket case - to misquote The Breakfast Club, the other two don't apply)

I've written it all before on my blog. And I've shared much of my personal history on Facebook should you need it, for your algorithms and such like. 

So instead I've written a poem on my ponderings... at least on a particular box, the one particular definition that sometimes/often/rarely makes me the person I am today... maybe!

There is so much the census doesn't tell you and it reminds you of things in black and white that are really shades of grey.

But at least it is done for another ten years...


Census done.

2 without you now.

Each snapshot a decade apart

Single three times

(just a child)

married once

(and a mother too!)

widowed twice, at least on paper.

Yet only 53!

That doesn't sound so old.

Or maybe it does

to millennials

who see me as someone

old enough to be their mum.

Not a grandma though.

Will I ever have that title

to add to my collection?

What will the records show?

What boxes will I tick

in the next decade?

Will I remain

widowed,

one - 

census done!


No comments:

Post a Comment