Wednesday 27 November 2019

Happy Birthday Andrew


Happy birthday darling!
Another year?
How time has flown.
You - not even a day older,
and me?
Still here alone.

I stare at your old photos.
You stare back with twinkling eyes,
I miss the warmth behind them,
deep understanding you supplied.

You were the keeper of my secrets,
holder of my heart
‘til life crumbled
on my darkest day
we were
untimely ripped.

Apart.

I can’t say that I think of you
each morning, noon and night.
You’re a presence
like a shadow
almost there
just
out
of
sight.

But as your birthday comes around,
and dark November days,
you linger longer in my thoughts
I can’t escape your gaze.

Grief is stealthily defiant
dispensing killer blows
in the least expected fashion
it shakes you head to toe.

At last
with expert timing,
we reach November’s end
but just before it’s over
Happy Birthday
Dearest friend. xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment