Tuesday 27 August 2019

Dressed to Impress?

Now my chemo is over I can start making plans for my future.

A date that has been in the diary for a long time is my nephew's wedding in just over a months time. His fiance is gorgeous and they make a fabulous couple. I can't wait to celebrate their special day with them.

But what shall I wear? I haven't had time for dress shopping yet. I'm now trying to figure out when I can fit it in.  I have dresses in the wardrobe that would suit the occasion if October starts warm and sunny, but do I need an outfit for a cold snap or a soggy wet day?

I've not yet got to the having nightmares about it stage, after all I only the "giddy aunt" of the groom, I need something elegant yet understated to coordinate with whatever hair colour I decide upon!!!

As these thoughts swirled roiund my head I remembered what Andrew's aunt had worn to our own wedding, some crazy creation that appeared to have been dragged our from the back of the wardrobe.

A first line for a poem popped into my head as I climbed in the shower, always a good place for inspiration to strike.

But the words took an unexpected twist, inspired by a perculiar conversation yesterday and then the new caereer path a dear friend is now following.

So I hope you like my own crazy creation of words today and I hope they paint a colourful image.

At the church she rocked up,
                                in a musty old frock
That had obviously seen better days.

Baby blue, garish green,
                                should never be seen.
It attracted everyone's gaze,

With flowers and birds,
                             a pattern absurd,
A beady eye over one nipple.

Well she caused a commotion,
                                    a drop in the ocean,
While titters spread ripple by ripple

The celebrant started,
                                  prayers for the departed,
Trying not to join in with the laughter.

But a dress of such brightness,
                                          seams pulled in full tightness,
Is enough to shock now and hereafter!

1 comment:

  1. Love the sound and imagary of ‘rocked up in a musty old frock’ x

    ReplyDelete