Friday 23 August 2024

Incidental Adventures

 I’ve just arrived home from a grand adventure. 

Yesterday I was recording my audio book, it was all very exciting, but today I want to write about all the incidental stories along the way. The bits I might forget if I don’t write them down now.

My friend dropped me off at the station in plenty of time, even with a minor detour along a country road – the adventure started early.

The train to and across London were fine. I ended up in Waterloo as planned, not sure if I’d even been here before. But they were giving away Maoam sweeties on the station so that was an extra bonus.

Mmmmm...

The trains had all been on time and I settled down with my packed lunch and a good book.



I made my final change at Southampton Airport (Parkway) a bit of a mouthful. There was an advert for Southampton University. My friend’s daughter is going there next month, it wasn’t her first choice but I sent this photo “thinking about you”. I suppose it was a sort of prayer, wishing her well on the next adventure. I wonder what plans God has got for this articulate and clever young woman, why he has taken her on an unexpected path?

When I reached my destination and got off the train I asked a young mum of two boys for the direction into town. They were waiting for the green man to cross the road and although it was safe to cross I waited with them. Her eldest lad told me he had some money and was off to buy some Pokemon cards.

“He got some at a car boot sale for a pound.” His mum told me. “Now he thinks everything is the same price.”

It was lovely to chat to someone as we walked together, it made me remember when my boys were that young. I wished them luck in their Pokemon search as we parted company and I searched for my hotel.

I checked in, found a duck in the ensuite, then went off in search of tea and cake followed by a mooch round the charity shops.

hello Ducky!

There were two books I wanted in the Oxfam shop in mint condition, so I couldn’t leave them there.

Two of my favourite authors and I've met both of them!

I booked a table in the restaurant for my dinner and while waiting sat reading enjoying the ambiance and the eclectic soundtrack. One minute Human League, One Man in My Heart, which I confess I had to Google because I couldn’t remember it, although the voice was so distinctive. 

I’m playing it now as I type. The next minute we were bang up to date with Taylor Swift’s Tortured Poets Department - another favourite! "Who uses typewriters anyway?" 

 


I didn’t sleep much that night but I had set my phone alarm in preparation. Not that I needed it as there was a radio in my room which burst into a rousing rendition of the Dambusters theme at 7:20.

I had no idea how to unset the radio alarm but hey who knew I liked Classic FM. I spent this morning listening to some more before I got up for a more leisurely breakfast. I was thankful for the display informing me what I was listening to, then I remembered what film score it was in.

Facebook reminded me it was a friend’s birthday today, so I popped back to a little shop I’d found the other day to buy her a present – no photo of that, she might be reading this and I don’t want to spoil the surprise 😉

I mooched in Waterstones, oh there are so many books I want to read. I hurried along to the station, I’d got time enough to read a chapter or two before my train arrived.

As I sat on a low window ledge at Southampton Airport (Parkway) enjoying the warm sunshine I marvelled that could get down so low. Am I really 56? Dressed in my dungarees, do I look years younger? Whatever age I look I am now filled with so much confidence than I was 30 years ago.

There was a couple on the next train going to London to celebrate their Diamond Wedding anniversary. What a fabulous achievement.

“Did you get a telegram from the King?”

“We got a card.” She smiled.

“Oh, silly me, telegram is so old fashioned.”

We laughed and I wished them well.

So many brief encounters with people who I will never see again, but they made me smile.

Leaving Liverpool Street with 50 pages left to read...

I just about finished reading my book as I pulled into the station.

A friend was waiting to pick me up. And now I’m home, although I’m heading out in an hour to the cinema. My life is such a while at the moment.

But I needed to write about the little things that brought me joy.

Recording my audio book has to be up there with the list of best days ever, ever but it was surrounded by so much more that contributed to the overall experience.

I've found lots of glitter and hope I've distributed some more along the way for others to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment