Tuesday 14 May 2024

A Bookish Morning

I was wide awake far too early this morning, but I'd had a good night's sleep so decided to make good use of the time by finishing the novel I was too tired to read last night.



All the Devils are Here is the 16th Inspector Gamache novel by Louise Penny. I love the characters so much that I greedily devour each one. This was a bit different, set in Paris rather than the sleepy hamlet of Three Pines in Quebec – the Canadian version of Midsomer.

I enjoyed reading Louise’s reason for setting this one in Europe, it’s always fascinating to get an author’s inside scoop.

I dropped a bag of donations at the charity shop and fatally browsed the book section.

What jumped out at me was a novelty Star Wars book which I shall hide and give to youngest son for a Christmas present. No worries about him reading this and discovering my plans. He never reads my blogs.


I had a book to pick up at the library but on my way I discovered the second hand bookshop was open. So I wandered in with a vague idea of buying something for my brother’s birthday. He’s not really a book person but perhaps I could find him something quirky about a topic he enjoys. Alas I wasn’t inspired but did spot this.

Excuse the jaunty angle of this photo, I was trying to hold the book and take a photo at the same time. 

It seemed highly improbable there is more than one Basil Hunnisett in this world and it’s not a name I’ve ever really forgotten. I checked the author biography and indeed it was the very same Basil Hunnisett who was head of the Library Studies Department at Brighton Polytechnic – “now the University of Brighton.”


I can’t remember much about his lectures, but he wasn’t the lecturer who let us sit outside on a sunny day. I think he interviewed me for a place when I first applied and he was possibly the lecturer that told us all on the first day that we were all on the course because we were nosey, inquisitive, and wanted to find things out.

At the princely sum of £20 I decided I didn’t really need a copy in my own library, returned it to the shelf and tootled off to the library to pick up the book I did need.

We have decided to read this fictional account of Julian of Norwich in our church housegroup as a change from discussing Bible commentaries.

Reviews include one from Julian Clary “Am tempted to become a mystic.” And from the Rt Hon Jack Straw “strongly reminded me of Maggie O’Farrell’s Hamnet.”

I really enjoyed Hamnet and love finding out about real history wrapped up in a novel.

While in the library I looked for my own book, then discovered it was out on loan – which is probably even more exciting than finding it sat on the shelf unread.


So, I searched for my friend’s book and snapped a photo of that in situ – don’t worry Ruth Leigh, I checked and it has been borrowed a handful of times.

the pink on in the middle - Diary of Isabella M Smugge

I walked home happy and while in the mood for snapping photos I took a picture of this fine chap.

I have a friend who likes snails, she’s not as obsessed with them as writer Patricia Highsmith, but you need to check out my blog post on Authors Electric to find out that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment